MAUI POPS NEWS
If you live on Maui, and are interested in auditioning for the Maui Pops, please contact us for more information.
Auriol Flavell Student Scholarship Awards for young Musicians Winners:
Sunday, March 10, 2019:
2018 Auriol Flavell Student Scholarship Awards for Young Musicians were awarded. This year we had three winners:
- Darius Soo Hoo is a senior at Henry Perrine Baldwin High School. He is an accomplished violinist and flutist. He plays as a member of the Maui Pops Orchestra, Maui Chamber Orchestra and is Concertmaster of the Hawaii Youth Symphony I. He will be attending college this fall with either a double major or major/minor in music and engineering.
- Jalen Baraoidan is a graduate of Lahainaluna High School currently attending the University of Hawaii at Manoa, from which he will graduate in spring 2021. An accomplished clarinetist, he is pursuing a Master of Science in Music Education and a Doctor of Musical Arts in Wind Conducting. He wants to return to Maui to teach music.
- Lauralei Singsank is a graduate of Seabury Hall where she began playing the flute and studying privately with Peggy Schecter. She was a member of the Maui Youth Philharmonic, Maui Flute Choir and performed in several MAPA summer musical productions. She is set to graduate in December 2019 from the University of Oregon as a double major in General Music and Political Science.
Sunday, March 18, 2018:
2018 Auriol Flavell Student Scholarship Awards for Young Musicians were awarded. This year we had two winners:
- Kaila Pojas is a senior at Henry Perrine Baldwin High School playing percussion in the “Bear Pride” Marching Band and the Symphonic Band. In addition to these ensembles, she is a percussionist for the Maui Youth Philharmonic Orchestra and the Maui Pops Orchestra. She has been studying piano for 14 years with Mrs. Ruth Murata-Eisen. After high school she plans to pursue further studies in music.
- Emily Tsuhako is a Senior at Maui High School. She has been playing the flute for 7 years, and has been studying privately with Peggy Schecter the last two years. Emily is an active member of Maui High’s music programs, serving as a Drum Major for the Band program, and as a President for the Choir program. In the future, Emily hopes to return to Maui and serve as an elementary music educator.
Sunday, March 19, 2017:
2017 Auriol Flavell Student Scholarship Awards for Young Musicians were awarded. This year we had five winners:
- Jalen Baraoidan: Jalen is a student at Lahainaluna H.S. and has clearly defined education and career goals. He plans to pursue conducting and arranging and work toward a MS in Music Education, and a Ph.D. in Wind Conducting. He wants to promote music education in Hawaii, and be an orchestra director. Sponsor: Stephen Rodrigues, Music Director, Baldwin H.S. and Myron Carlos, Music Director, Lahainaluna H.S.
- Nicole Yuzon: Nicole currently plays violin with the Maui Pops Orchestra (MPO) and will attend UH Manoa or Hilo. She is likely to remain in Hawaii and be active in MPO, or other orchestras. Sponsor: Iolani Yamashiro-Rahimi, Violin Teacher
- Angela Yasutomi: Angela is a senior at Seabury Hall with a strong music background who has played flute and piccolo with MPO. She is likely to continue to perform with MPO or other orchestras. Sponsor: Peggy Schecter, Flute Teacher
- Elizabeth Konohia: Elizabeth is a senior at King Kekaulike H.S. and is being given a scholarship award based on her exceptional talent and clear financial need. Elizabeth has a real love of music, performing, and vocal harmonizing. She plays flute, bassoon, bass, tuba, and euphonium. As her senior project, she taught music to elementary school students and encouraged them to pursue music in H.S. Sponsor: Casey Nagata, Music Director, King Kekaulike H.S.
- Lorraine Konohia: Lorraine, Elizabeth’s twin, is also being given a scholarship award based on her exceptional talent and clear financial need. Lorraine plans to major in music production and composition, and hopes to make that her livelihood. Sponsor: Casey Nagata, Music Director, King Kekaulike H.S.
We are grateful to Maui Mayor Alan Arakawa for participating in the award presentations. Congratulations to our 2017 winners!
Sunday, March 20, 2016:
2016 Auriol Flavell Student Scholarship Award for Young Musicians awarded to Darius Soo Hoo:
The Maui Pops Orchestra is very pleased to announce the winner of our 2016 “Auriol Flavell Student Scholarship for Young Musicians”. Mr. Darius Soo Hoo received a $2,000 scholarship toward his future academic goals and was presented the award at our March 20th concert, “Spring Into Pops”.
Darius is a 15-year-old freshman at Baldwin High School, currently playing the flute and violin, with a prior interest in piano and French horn. He is the son of Tom & Vicki Soo Hoo of Kula (Maui). Darius was chosen as the Principal Flute for the Maui Intermediate Select Band three years in a row. He has studied violin with Ms. Teresa Skinner for eight years, recently completing the Suzuki Method Violin School Book 9 (out of 10), and has studied flute with Ms. Peggy Schecter for the past three years. He has enjoyed his experiences with the Maui Academy of Performing Artis, playing the role of the “Fiddler” in Fiddler on the Roof and as a member of the orchestra for Miss Saigon and Evita.
His love for the violin has taken him to many different places and in many different directions. Darius has attended the Suzuki World Convention in Matsumoto, Japan, the California Summer Music program at Sonoma State University and, in 2015, the Summer Strings Academy at Indiana University. He has also had the pleasure of playing in the Maui Youth Philharmonic Orchestra violin section, and performing as the featured soloist with the Maui Pops Orchestra. He currently is a member of the Maui Chamber Orchestra and the Maui Pops Orchestra.
The Board of Directors of the Maui Pops Orchestra congratulates Darius on winning the $2,000 student scholarship and we wish him all the best in his future music endeavors.
Sunday, March 22, 2015:
2016 Auriol Flavell Student Scholarship Award for Young Musicians awarded to Kisa Uradomo:
The Maui Pops Orchestra is very pleased to announce the winner of our 2015 “Auriol Flavell Student Scholarship for Young Musicians”. Ms. Kisa Uradomo received a $2,000 scholarship toward her future academic goals and was presented the award at our March 22nd concert, “Maui Pops Goes to the Ballet.”
Ms. Uradomo was a senior at King Kekaulike High School and graduated in the summer of 2015. She is the daughter of Mr. & Mrs. Ira Uradomo of Kula (Maui). Ms. Uradomo plans to continue with her music education and has been accepted with a partial scholarship to the Eastman School of Music in Rochester, NY where she plans to double major in music education and music performance. She enjoys playing in any kind of musical ensemble, whether it’s classical, jazz, or modern contemporary music. Ms. Uradomo also served as concertmaster for the Maui Pops Orchestra’s performance of “Maui Pops Goes to the Ballet.”